Becoming Kin: An Indigenous call to unforgetting the past and reimagining our future. Forward by Nick Estes. Now available.
Aambe: Where books collide. This is my substack page because sure, all the cool kids have a substack now so why not. This is where the books I read collide with other books and new things emerge.
Highly Pertinent Digressions. This substack is where my friend Neil Ellis Orts and I take turns writing essays that have a relationship to the previous essay but embrace the digressions that happen. Because apparently the journey matters.
Print and online:
- August 2022 Was Jesus a Pharisee?
- April 2022 The Land with Whom – on religious nationalisms, kinship versus citizenship, and Land Back as an alternative to the violence of colonial borders.
- February 2022 To Be Good Kin – an excerpt from Becoming Kin with a brief reflection
- March 2022 Solidarity with Ukraine: an Indigenous view
- April 2021 A Broadened Sense of Abolition
- April 2021 Ambe: A Year of Indigenous Reading
- September 2022 Can Christianity and Indigenous Worldviews Ever Be Reconciled? – selections from Becoming Kin.
- February 2022 Why was Noah silent at the end of the world?
- December 2021 Refusing to be comforted
- April 2020 Christians romanticize wandering yet rendered my people homeless
Religion News Service
In person and virtual events:
Red Women Rising online event. May 4, 5-7pm. Celebrating and upholding Indigenous women who are creating change in and with Indigenous communities.
Tree workshop with Katie Holten in Lewiston, NY at Artpark with activities for adults and kids, a tree walk, and book signing. May 21 from 11am – 2pm.
A talk and book signing at Barn Swallow Tea and Bookshop in Fort Erie Ontario, May 25 6-8pm.
Book signing at Holy Trinity St. Stephen’s Memorial Church 727 Southdale Road London, Ontario Friday June 16 7:30pm
Becoming Kin workshop at St. Aidan’s Church 1246 Oxford St. West, London, Ontario. June 17 10am – 2pm
Speaking at St. Aidan’s Church June 18 at 9 and 11am.
Nevertheless She Preached in Austin, Texas September 17-19.
Talk and Book Signing at Midland Public Library’s Indigenous Arts and Culture week. Midland, Ontario. September 21.
Becoming Kin retreat at Loon Lake BC September 27-29. $425pp includes accomodations, linens, and meals.
Becoming Kin retreat at Tatamagouche, NS, October 13-15. $375pp until June 1, $425pp after, includes accomodations, linens, and meals.
Talk and book signing at Armour Heights Presbyterian Church, Toronto ON. October 28.
Podcast and radio interviews:
November 18, 2022 The Deep Dive: A Culture and Insights Podcast. Episode 130.
November 13, 2022 Tapestry on CBC Radio. When remembering isn’t enough.
October 10, 2022 NPR’s Jefferson Exchange
September 2022. The Living Room Podcast with Jo Luehmann.
September, 2022. Faith from the Margins is a podcast from St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Houston Texas.
August 7, 2022. Subaltern Speaks Podcast “is a podcast that explores the legacies of colonialism on the religion and spiritualities of colonized peoples, otherwise known as the “subaltern” in post-colonial studies.” This conversation is released in two parts, Part One and Part Two.
August 4, 2022 How to Heal Our Divides. Book Interview with Brian Allain on You Tube.
August 3, 2022 The Big Story podcast: What did the Pope’s apology mean? And what comes next?
May 24, 2022 New Leaf Theology Podcast: Becoming Kin
Upcoming conversations on The Protagonistas Podcast